This tying really surprised me!

 

 Once in a while you feel you ought to acknowledge something, if just to pass it on: the other week, on YT, I came across a Tightlines Video Production, with the very excellent Tim Flagler narrating. The method used for tying in the wing is fantastically easy, even my first attempt at it produced a happy result!

 In the attached picture are versions I’ve tied in moments of free time over the last couple of days, the colours of the flies depicted are, clockwise from top left, Midge, Rusty Spinner, Tan, PMD, BWO, and six in an Adams grey. The dubbing was Orvis Spectrablend, Dry Fly.



 The fly in the video is a version of Fran Betters’ ‘The Usual’ [a great name for when you get asked “What did you get that one on?”]. This variant used Enrico Pugilisi fibres for the tail/wing, instead of Betters’ Snowshoe Hare, or even Calf Tail.

 Now, I happened to buy a pack of EP -Ultra Brush, 5” wide, some years ago at a BFFI. The pack contained 6 brushes, each about 12” long. I chose Grey because I intended to use the material for small fish/fry imitations. Cutting and index-finger-width from one side of the wire brush stem gave me the perfect size for these flies, tied on #14 and #16 hooks from FM Hayabusa and/or Tiemco. These fibres shed water, making the material superb for tying dry flies.

 Check it out!

 I’m still hoping that folk will comment, like, follow, share, or any of the stuff that reaches potential new readers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer long ago

Read all about it! No fake news here

The Continuing Adventures of the Fluff Club, Episode 5