Ed 26 Scribbling

 

 Back in Ed 25 I wrote some guff mainly about angling writing prior to the realm of all-pervading social [some say antisocial] media; back then modesty was much more important than self- gratification. I used a photo which was a glimpse a couple of the things I write my habitual scrawlings into, but gave no explanation otherwise. To put that right and expand upon it, here is a new photo!



 The original depicted my fishing log, religiously completed each time I go fishing, lying on top of that was my fishing notebook. The first part of that notebook is a list of fisheries, one per page, with their addresses, phone numbers, and post codes for the sat-nav. On the reverse of each page I record the better captures’ weights and dates, giving me a record of PBs per each fishery. The second part of the book holds a list of my rods and their line weight ratings, then a list of reels and spools, also detailing line types and weights, with the lines’ date of purchase. The remainder of the notebook is a miscellany: such and such’s top twelve favourite flies, quotations, scraps of song lyrics, poems, fly colours charts, even fish recipes, knot drawings, leader building recipes; general scribblings that I jot down when I come across something interesting. The log is a custom volume, rather grand, a present from my daughter, and holds date, fishery, weather, results, successful methods and fly patterns, with comments and so on. At the end of each year I calculate and record my rod average, overall weight and numbers.

 In the new photo I’ve included the log’s predecessors; two full notebooks and much more homespun. Also there is a much smaller notebook which was my log back in the day when I did competitive coarse fishing, prior to being bitten by the flyfishing bug! You can also see two black notebooks, my fly-tying recipes with my hand-drawn illustrations and some photos, with some other people’s recipes that I particularly like, with tips and hacks.

 What a lot of frantic scribbling! Not shown is an 85,000+ word  manuscript about my life entwined in fishing. It needs some re-working in places, but the hope is to get it published one day. In addition, I also maintain the fishing blogs. But you know that, you’re reading one.

 Why? Good question. I suppose the answer is “information”. It all means something pertinent to me, a focus for my thoughts. The log contains all sorts of information [moon state, weather, barometric pressure, places and results] but I can’t really say it allows me to predict how a trip might actually turn out. I happen to like notes about my fishing, and others’, a source of data which might help germinate ideas. Then again, maybe I’m a nerd who just likes to write reminders? That said, before I retired I kept a day-per-page A4 desk diary for the forty years of my career. In business, I found it invaluable: a record of times, meetings, deadlines, itineraries, schedules, expenses, names and places. I kept the whole stack for six years after I retired, then had them incinerated.

 Whatever; I just enjoy writing, … I hope you like reading it.


The previous photo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer long ago

Read all about it! No fake news here

The Continuing Adventures of the Fluff Club, Episode 5