Food chain

 

Driving to the reservoir we chatted about all sorts of things, but as usual, the main topic was fishing.

Phil, my mate, informed me he’d been reading a book about reservoir and lake fishing styles, and having thought about it long and hard he believed he had come up with a winning combination of flies for a three-fly cast:

“It’s all about having patterns that work together as a team, instead of as individuals” he said, “I reckon I have figured out the ultimate selection”. He wouldn’t elaborate any further and changed the subject.


In the boat he waited until after I had tied up my three-fly cast and then revealed his master plan: “On the point goes a big, black Woolly Bugger” explained Phil “then on the middle dropper is a pearly Cormorant and finally the top dropper is a tiny nymph”.

I stared blankly. “You just don’t get it, do you?” he said, “The big black fly represents a monster dragonfly nymph, which is chasing a small fry, which in turn is after the little nymph”. He rounded off by saying, smugly, “I’m going to call it the Food Chain!”.

I couldn’t help but laugh, but out on the reservoir towards the end of our very first drift, as Phil started to retrieve his flies towards the boat, lo and behold: the rod tip banged down towards the water’s surface, and he struck into a fish. “This is a real head banger!” exclaimed Phil “I think it’s a huge Brown!”

The battle was joined and turned into an epic struggle until he started to win back some line; we both craned over the side, hoping to see some ‘colour’ appear in the depths. Imagine my surprise when we spotted not one flash, but two, … then three! No double-up here, this was a treble, the full monty!

I had to buy the beers that evening, and won’t here the last of this for quite some time to come.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer long ago

Read all about it! No fake news here

Tempest