The continuing adventures of the Fluff Club, Episode 56 *

 

A Dawson's Olive variant

A good number of Fluff Club members turned out today, John O’Gaunt has always been a popular venue. I was last to arrive, joining the Professor, the Admiral, Moneypenny, Foggy, Rodney, Threepio, Galilee and the Sailor! It was fantastic to see the Sailor again, still battling the big C, out with his wife, Angela, who does the driving now. She told me his latest misfortune was to suddenly go deaf, virtually overnight, although he can still make out what you say if you’re close enough that he can lip read to supplement his hearing. That man is just not having much luck this past couple of years. They’ve both been ‘shielding’ so this was their first trip out in a long while.

 The drizzle cleared before I started fishing, leaving an overcast morning with light winds from the north. Foggy had brought a pal and they both fished the main lake. In fact, it was Foggy who was first to complete a brace, before 11.00; his second, and best, took a size 20 beaded buzzer! Quite a change, as he typically favours the kinds of flies the Jackdaw likes: anything with some bling!

 This session was the inaugural holding of the new monthly trophy for the ‘heaviest brace’, to commemorate Dell-boy, sadly a recent victim of the cursed Covid plague. The trophy is named after him so that he will be remembered (under his real name), and each month the current holder will be listed on one of our website pages, holding the new trophy until the next outing. The Professor headed over to one of Dell-boy’s favourite swims on the main ‘lake’ to make a few casts for our former comrade in arms, but the fish just weren’t playing fair so he joined the majority of us on Simms.

 Rodney was fishing the shallower, top end and I believe he was the first to catch. The cracking three pounds twelve ounces Rainbow was super fit and led Rodney a merry dance, all the while he was precariously fiddling with the Go-pro mounted on his cap. This scenario is not unfamiliar to us Fluff Boys, and commonly leads to a momentary slack line and an escapee, but today he safely netted the fish, narrating his efforts with the usual expletives. Over to my left, Threepio was next to catch; these Houghton fish were in wonderful nick, all scrapping really hard. An hour and a half passed, during which I had just one, desultory follow, despite trying a number of patterns that normally work for me at this venue. A couple of anglers fishing over on the west bank vacated their spot and I decided to move over. As I passed Rodney, I asked him when I should expect his posting of the video of his trouty encounter onto YouTube. “The flicking flick-flicker battery was flicking dead!” he replied morosely.

 Moneypenny was next to catch, also fishing the shallower end. Later on, in the same spot, he hooked and did battle with another strong trout, before doing the Admiral’s thing, the long-distance release, ably assisted by the nearby Rodney’s helpful barracking. Galilee, a connoisseur collector of particular brands of Japanese rods and reels, (sorry, can’t recall the brand), was fishing a six weight outfit and a white dry, casting a very elegant five weight Spey line easily across to the reeds of the larger of the two islets, around the corner from the Professor's station. His first fish made several strong runs, the reel’s screams seemingly getting louder each time, sounding just like that Hardy sound bite. Later, when I was closer to him, he repeated the act using the same fly, and I said “That’s a lovely sound” and he replied “Yes, and I’ve turned the volume up!”, I added “It sounds like you’re playing it through a big Marshall amp!”.

 The Admiral returned to Simms after fishing the main ‘lake’ in vain for a couple of hours, whereas he’d caught his first on Simms very early doors, albeit only one pounds eight. He arrived just as the Professor was playing his fourth fish, in his usual corner, casting across to the islet’s reed fringed shelf. Trout in pods and groups were constantly circling clockwise around the islet, (but curiously not around the other one). I’ve witnessed this circling behaviour a few times before, including at other fisheries. The Professor had found that if he landed a bead-head pattern into their incessant path with a ‘plop’ they might break ranks and investigate. If more than one fish moved to the fly, he invariably got a take, presumably due to competitive feeding?

 Meanwhile I was beginning to get that uneasy feeling that there was a skunking headed my way. Over three hours had passed during which time I only had one, quick, un-hittable pluck to a Dawson’s Olive variant. I began to rue fishing a floating line, usually I use an intermediate here. At times my casting became awful, even worse than usual; the slough of despond beckoned, confidence draining into the ground beneath my feet. Once Galilee finished, I moved into his spot, and after a dozen or more casts I at last got a fish to take a green Diawl Bach, (actually tied for the Chew adventure a fortnight ago).


Green Diawl Bach

What relief! There remained, however, a nagging doubt that my earlier over-confidence in telling the government that I would be home early afternoon for a family Sunday gathering (resumed at last following lock-down), was ‘serving me right’. In the Professor’s corner were a bunch of the FBs watching the Admiral trying to get his second: the Professor, Foggy, Rodney, Galilee, and Threepio had all filled their tickets. Their helpful advice showered down on the Admiral, then as he started to retrieve for yet another cast there was a take and he soon netted his second fish, in full view of the gallery. They all headed back towards the cars, for lunch. I headed straightaway to the now vacant spot.

 Sure enough, pods of Rainbows were still circling clock-wise. I tried a couple of bead-head patterns to ‘plop’ down in their path. Nada. A heavy Corixa pattern maybe? No, same result. A little flash-back Damsel? Nope. I next tied on a Biscuit Blob, pulled from my fly patch, a Chew leftover, checked that it was sinking, then cast across to the shallow shelf in front of the hurrying, circling pods. That worked! First was a four-pounder, then two more Rainbows a tad under three pounds. It was now quarter past one, I would still be home at a reasonable time. I called over to Angela, at the Sailor’s side, to get him to move to my swim and to use my BB, which I handed over. I said my goodbyes and headed off to fill out my catch return. The Sailor and Moneypenny now had Simms left to themselves.

 

Biscuit Blob

 * in which the names of the participants are pseudonyms in an effort to be as inclusive to others as possible, in an attempt to attain the widest readership. I will be grateful for any comment the reader cares to make. Thank you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Read all about it! No fake news here

Summer long ago

Tempest