Neigh Lad



I had been fishing for almost six hours now and had just about walked the whole circumference of the moorland reservoir. Conditions had seemed to be perfect: warmish, a light breeze, overcast sky, and the water lightly tinged with peat but still clear. I had been through my fly boxes and had used up most of my spool of tippet, with absolute zero to show for my efforts.

My frustration had been building for a while, eroding concentration. As a result, my casting and fishing were suffering badly. With my car in sight again, I became irritated, annoyed at myself, so I sat on a stump for a while to collect my scattered thoughts and give myself a stiff talking to. I ate and drank the last of my supplies, then “Right” I said to myself “You drove miles to get here, get your head straight, there’s less than an hour of light left. Start again. Concentrate hard. Come on!”.

Just then I noticed a horse I passed an hour ago was standing behind me, watching silently, tail flicking flies. I moved a couple of paces to avoid hitting the horse with my back cast; I cast out, pausing while line and leader settled. Suddenly I heard a distinct voice say “Put a Black Leech on and fish it fast”. I looked about me, I was still alone, just the horse which continued to watch. I hadn’t actually tried that particular pattern, maybe my mind was playing tricks on me? Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I tied one on. On my first cast a Brownie slammed the fly and I soon landed my first fish. Fatigue and doubt evaporated instantly. I moved a couple of paces along the bank and prepared to cast again. There came that mysterious voice “A Silver Invicta will work there”, puzzled, I looked around again, but the horse and I appeared to be the only creatures above the surface. Perhaps my subconscious was the better angler? I did as bid and shortly after changing flies I slipped the net under my second feisty fish. The prior, futile hours forgotten, I moved a few more paces farther along the bank, but still perplexed. “Try a Hopper in that patch of ripple near those rocks to your right” came that distinct voice. Was I going mad?

The horse continued its placid day dreaming, gazing my way. On went a Claret Hopper, to be smashed by another good trout just seconds after touching down. Before long I was netting my third and last Brown. My time was up, I tackled down and headed over to the car. In the car park, the only other vehicle was a battered old Landrover, a retriever sitting beside the driver who was puffing on his old pipe. “You’ve had a good day” he said in a cloud of blue smoke, nodding towards my bass bag as he leaned out of the window. “I can’t explain it” I replied “I was really struggling until this last hour, when a voice came into my head, telling me what to do. I checked around but I was definitely alone, nobody even in sight, just an old horse.”

“Aaah” exhaled the pipe smoker “was it a brown horse or a grey one?”

“It was grey” I replied.

“You were lucky” says he “The brown one knows nothing about fly fishing!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer long ago

Read all about it! No fake news here

Tempest