H N Y (and some stats)

 


 Traditionally, at this time of year, we reflect on the one ‘ebbing’ away and look forward to the one ‘flooding’ in. Now that I am retired, I tend to concentrate my reflecting on family stuff, followed by fishing stuff. Looking back on the year inevitably brings aspirations for the one that follows. When it comes to fishing it’s nice to flick through my log and re-live some of it. After making the last log entry the final task is to calculate the stats: rod average (total number of fish divided by the number of sessions) and the average weight (total weight divided by the total number of fish).

 Well, if it was good enough for F M Halford, some say the ‘daddy’, who am I to differ? I started keeping a fishing log many years ago when I was a coarse fisherman (yeah, okay) and in my competitive days the log became a very handy source of information on venues, etc.  After a lay-off (four children in the household, eventually becoming more manageable week-end wise) I took to fly fishing, but I regret not logging the first few years, until it became almost a hard-core obsession then I started logging my outings again. Here (for the nerdy, like me) is a table showing the last ten years:

YEAR                   ROD AVE.                AVE WEIGHT                  

2011                      5.6                             2lbs 15ozs

2012                      4.1                             2lbs 07ozs

2013                      3.5                             2lbs 07ozs

2014                      3.9                             2lbs 10ozs

2015                      3.7                             2lbs 10ozs

2016                      3.7                             1lbs 15ozs

2017                      3.4                             2lbs 04ozs

2018                      2.9                             2lbs 08ozs

2019                      5.6                             1lbs 10ozs

2020                      2.9                             1lbs 04ozs

2021                      3.9                             1lbs 14ozs      

 One thing to note is the generally downward trend in average weight, which is a result of my increasing pursuits of wild Brown Trout in the last three years, i.e smaller stature fish!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!

 

 

Picture courtesy of Chloie the Bean, depicts an atmospheric Mottisfont & Dunbridge station’s fish decorations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer long ago

Read all about it! No fake news here

Tempest