TCAOTFC Prequel D



 Since the Covid-19 lockdown has been eased here in England I feel that these Prequels have kind of run their course, I was just writing them up to help fill the fishing void, so unless I get a comment to the contrary I might stop posting them, there were actually nine left including this one, but as the reader knows from the previous three, the details in my fishing log left a lot to be desired back then. On the other hand, who knows, they might be fodder for some Off The Log posts in the future? I’ll have to revisit them to see if there’s something worthwhile.
Pro tem, here’s the next one of the sequence, as brief as possible:


 Six of the Fluff Boys and Girls strolled into the café of Woodington Fly Fishery, which adjoins Whinwhistle Coarse Fishery. It had been very wet of late, but today we were expecting only strong winds. We could see the high-water mark left on the bunds where the Blackwater had flooded, so the ‘lakes’ were just inches from being inundated. Now, thankfully, the river was back within its banks, albeit high and running through like an express train.

 After an English breakfast in the café I was as ready as the rest of the posse: the Professor, the Headmistress, Turner, the Lumberjack, and Jackdaw. My log doesn’t tell me who caught what, except that I had three, there were two braces, two single fish, and one blank. There were no other anglers fishing other than the FC. The ‘best fish’ trophy went to the Headmistress with a two pounds fourteen ounces Rainbow, my best went two-twelve, with the other two at one-and-a-half each. Mine fell to a green/white ‘Wild Thing’, an orange Nomad, and a black Nomad with a lime green beak and bead. I missed one take completely, and dropped another fish shortly after hooking up. Back at the lodge/café/shop filling out our catch returns, the owner, John Hardeley (sadly missed, R.I.P.), said he thought all of us would have had some great sport because he had just stocked 350 trout! That’s nearly the same as saying “You should have been here last week, they were going absolutely crazy!” which is no consolation whatsoever!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Read all about it! No fake news here

Summer long ago

Tempest